Dennis is a small, family-friendly community nestled in the heart of South Jersey. We pride ourselves in being good neighbors and with that goal in mind, we strive to provide our residents with the information they need to keep up to date and make informed decisions regarding their lives in our community.
NOTICE: MAIN STREET CLOSED
The Cape May County Engineer has advised the Township of Dennis that the excavation and grading of Main Street in Dennisville will begin on Monday, September 16th. The roadway will be closed to thru traffic for the duration of the project. Local traffic and residents will have access to their properties. The County has requested that residents do no park on the roadway during the hours of active construction.
NEW SCHOOL YEAR DRIVER AWARENESS REMINDER
The new school year in Dennis Township will be starting September 4th.
Here are some reminders for the new school year:
- Younger children are more likely to be excited to see their friends, meet their new teachers, and get their seats in freshly decorated classrooms. Younger children are also more likely to make mistakes around roads.
- Many children will be starting new schools.
- They will be learning new walking paths, either to the school or to a bus stop.
- They may not have given themselves enough time on the new route, and will be hurrying.
- Their parents will be learning new driving patterns at an unfamiliar school.
- Older, high school children may be driving their own cars to school for the first time, also struggling with new traffic routes, congested school zones, and even more congested and confusing parking lots.
- Some schools have made adjustments to their drop-off or pick-up zones. School crossing guard posts may have been changed to meet demands.
- All of this can have a ripple-effect to other drivers who will be coping with the actions, inactions, or bad actions of children and drivers.
I want to take this opportunity to remind everyone to be especially aware as they operate their personal vehicles and work vehicles. The next couple of weeks can be challenging. Please:
- Watch your speed. A couple of mph faster will not make a real difference in your arrival time.
- Scan sidewalks and parked cars for signs of movement.
- Keep a safe following distance. Even if you anticipated something, the driver in front of you may not be as alert as you are.
- Be particularly alert at intersections. Practice ‘covering your brake’ when called for.
Emergency Cell Phone Calling
In case of an Emergency dial 911 immediately. If possible, call 911 from a landline, but if you are on a cellphone please follow these directions:
- If your phone has GPS location tracking, turn that on (if not on by default) and use your phone’s map app to determine your location. Most all newer cellphones have this function.
- If your phone does not have this function or you don’t know how to use it, be as specific as possible about your location. Identify local intersections, buildings, landmarks or anything else that can help direct First Responders.
- Remain on the line with the 911 Dispatcher until help arrives.
Dennis Township was recently made aware of emails being sent to residents in the name of our tax collector and maybe other officials. These emails are not legitimate and are not being sent from our email system. These emails are spoofing emails – fraudulent emails drafted to appear as if they are being sent by Dennis Township. Dennis Township is conducting an investigation into these emails. We ask residents not to respond to these emails or take any actions requested in the email. Dennis Township will not send emails to residents regarding tax bills. Any questions related to tax bills should be directed to Monica Heim at 609-861-9703.
Code Red Alerts
For Code Red alerts, please follow this link to our Emergency Management page for detailed information.
Latest News & Notices
Come join the fun Saturday, October 5, 2019, from 10am – 3pm. There will be activities for kids, food, craft vendors, music and also a town wide yard sale. Hope to see you there!
Departments of Health and Mosquito Control will be working together to distribute 31,320 vaccine-laden baits throughout the mainland communities of Cape May County
Old School House Museum curator Ray Rebmann has published a book: Prohibition in Cape May County, Wetter than the Atlantic, which will be officially published Monday, August 19.
Curator Ray Rebmann, Assistant Curator Bevin O’Grady, and community volunteer Tom Champion showed the students around the museum.
The Township has received notice from the Cape May County M.U.A that they are experiencing an increase in contamination with the Single Stream Recyclables.
NEW! Sign up online for the Township’s Recreation programs – now you won’t have to clear out your busy schedule to physically show up in person.
Our mayor was thrilled to receive a message from a taxpayer praising the professionalism of the staff in the Dennis Township Tax Office.
We have pics of our winners here so take a look. Congrats!
Township Committee Meeting Schedule
Jan. 2, 2019 (Reorganization - 6:30p)
Jan. 22, 2019 (Work & Regular - 6:30p)
Feb. 5, 2019 (Work & Regular - 6:30p)
Feb. 26, 2019 (Regular - 6:30p)
Mar. 12, 2019 (Work & Regular - 6:30p)
Mar. 26, 2019 (Regular - 6:30p)
Apr. 9, 2019 (Work & Regular - 6:30p)
Apr. 23, 2019 (Regular - 6:30p)
May 14, 2019 (Work & Regular - 6:30p)
May 28, 2019 (Regular - 6:30p)
June 11, 2019 (Work & Regular - 5:30p)
June 25, 2019 (Regular - 5:30p)
July 9, 2019 (Work & Regular - 5:30p)
July 23, 2019 (Regular - 5:30p)
Aug. 13, 2019 (Work & Regular - 5:30p)
Aug. 27, 2019 (Regular - 5:30p)
Sept. 10, 2019 (Work & Regular - 6:30p)
Sept. 24, 2019 (Regular - 6:30p)
Oct. 8, 2019 (Work & Regular - 6:30p)
Oct. 22, 2019 (Regular - 6:30p)
Nov. 12, 2019 (Work & Regular - 6:30p)
Nov. 19, 2019 (Regular - 6:30p)
Dec. 10, 2019 (Work & Regular - 6:30p)
Dec. 17, 2019 (Regular - 6:30p)
2019 Town Holiday Schedule
Martin Luther King Day – January 21
Lincoln’s Birthday – February 12
President’s Day – February 18
Good Friday – April 19
Memorial Day – May 27
Independence Day – July 4
Columbus Day – October 14
General Election Day – November 5
Veteran’s Day – November 11
Thanksgiving Day – November 28
Day After Thanksgiving – November 29
Christmas Day – December 25